9/9/11

Swingers

The attire is questionable, but she's got the swing.
I really appreciate teachers.  More so since I began giving lessons to grommets somewhere around when the money tree dried up two summers ago.  With my racing career/Team Solitaire in shambles, I was desperate to make some quick cash and pay a few bills.  I've always enjoyed passing knowledge along, but never had been forced to do so for basic survival until then.  I learned quickly that, even though I am a patient person, my patience for kids that only rode for their parents or as a social outlet wore thin rather quickly.  It wasn't that I couldn't appreciate how they were using dirt bikes (we all have our own goals and reasons for riding), it was just that I was frustrated because no matter what I told them to do they wouldn't listen, and it felt like a waste of time and breath.  I still do lessons today, although I am a little more selective of my students.  I prefer to teach either Vet riders, who are spending their own money, or kids that are truly thirsty for knowledge and will try the techniques, not just go on thinking they are the next RC (not me, obviously).

Today I spent two hours in my daughter's preschool class.  She only goes to school Tuesday thru Thursday, but today was picture day and I felt that I would be doing her an injustice if I didn't force her to take pictures we would later mock at family gatherings.  I love kids.  I really love kids.  I have patience for all kinds of shenaniganizing and tomfoolery.  After an hour in that class I was ready to start lecturing kids on manners, hygiene, whininess and respect for your fellow man (in this case kid).  I have to tip my hat to teachers.  Preschool teachers.  My daughter's preschool teachers.  There is not enough money in the world...

After leaving the aforementioned learning establishment, my day got much better.  I went down to TM Customs and worked on a fabrication project I have been concocting.  I put the finishing touches on it today, painted it and mounted it to the trailer I pull behind my trusty 1994 Toyota Corolla.  I will snap some pictures of my set-up if you all promise not to be jealous.  Deal?  Deal.

The thunderstorms rolled in tonight just as the kids and I began a game of miniature golf for the ages.  It began with my daughter scoring a legit hole in one on the first hole (she is three).  I see a future in a ball with stick sport.  Maybe you all can relate to me on this (or maybe you will think I am delusional) but I don't want my kids chasing a career in motorcycle racing.  Yes, I love my life.  No, I would not change it.  But I want more for my kids.  I want them to find their identity in something else, not in what I did (unless that is absolutely, positively the one thing they love).  All the broken bones, concussions and sponsor deals gone awry have left me a little bit cynical.  There are likely easier ways to put food on the table than racing a dirt bike, none more fun, but definitely easier.  RC

No comments: