9/6/11

The Beginning of the End

View from the top of the ski ramp.
Overlooking Iron Mountain, Michigan.

There is so much that has happened in the last six months (the last time I updated this blog). In reality, there is so much that has happened in the last three years of my life that has changed me (for the better, at least that is what I believe). I titled this post the beginning of the end because I know that my days of competing as a professional at the top level of this sport are numbered. According to many, they have already passed. They may be right, but I believe I have one good season left in these old, pinned-together bones. This industry is as shallow as a shower, and someone my age with my results would be lucky to a free set of gear let alone some budget to go racing these days. I am fortunate that I have forged a few strong relationships, and enough people still believe in me that I can make a go of 2012 on an actual current year bike.

I was prompted to begin blogging again after going through old papers and photographs in a marathon organization session yesterday. I came across some printouts of my old website, TeamSolitaire.com, which chronicled my day-to-day training and personal life. I enjoyed reading it, and seemingly so did the thousands of people who frequented the site. Team Solitaire was huge back then, not just because of my results but because of the "do it yourself" attitude and against-all-odds mentality. Well this season is definitely going to be against all odds, and if I am going to do anything I will have to do it myself. No matter what anybody says about me, I believe in me. I believe I can have a successful season and live my life on my terms. That is what I am setting out to do.

Today wasn't exactly day one of training, I have been pretty focused for the last couple of months. I swam just over a mile this morning at the local country club (which, btw I do not belong to but has lackluster security in the pool area). I don't condone this type of behavior, mind you, but I am broke and I need large amounts of water to navigate. My fitness is pretty good right now, but it needs to be amazing.

I am actually still sore from my Saturday morning training up in Iron Mountain, Michigan. I ran the local ski area, Pine Mountian, which dons a giant ski jump that stretches up toward the clouds in an impressive manner. I ended up traversing it three times, top to bottom, which left my calf muscles feeling balled up and barely functional.

And thus my morning concludes at Starbucks with my amazing gestational partner and a Artisan Breakfast Sandwich. This day is far from over, as I have some afternoon activities planned, including an indoor soccer game and my son's Karting practice. Check back often or follow this blog as I will be posting a lot of useless (and useful) information here. RC

2 comments:

Coach Seiji said...

Dude I fully believe in you man, to do it your way and find success on your terms. If I can help you in that journey, don't hesitate to ask.

Unknown said...

Clarkstar, you are awesome brother! I have always and will always be a fan, friend and believe you can do anything you put your mind to!

-Brandon Foster