9/22/11

The Origin of Team Solitaire



I started writing for RacerX Illustrated back in 2001.  I was a struggling privateer and Davey Coombs was familiar, and sympathetic, with my plight.  He had offered for me to stay in Langers (Dave Langran/RacerX Designer) old apartment on the property of the old RACERX/MX Sports Headquarters.  We were out drinking one night after Mt. Morris and he asked me to write for his magazine.  He was drunk, I was lubed up myself, so I didn't really think anything of it.  Low and behold, a week or so later Davey asked me for my first story.  I wrote up a quick story and submitted it, titling it "Solitaire" to embody my one-man race effort.  Everyone seemed to like it, as it sort of coincided with the whole privateer movement.  It ran on the RACERX website for about a year before moving to the magazine as a monthly column.  For several years it was a staple of the mag, and Davey even did some Ryan Clark Bobbleheads and other fun promo items.  My column had its up and downs, and looking back I did bitch about a lot of stuff that I should have just sucked up.  There are injustices in every part of life, and no one wants to hear about that shit.  I don't.  Suck it up and move on.  Excuses are like Chrysler 300's, everybody has one.

After my column went away, I just started writing for myself in my personal journals, and also writing music.  I went so far as to playing music at some bars on open mic nights.  It was something I never thought I would have the guts to do, but I did it.  I have no problem racing in front of 70,000 people, because I figure they are all watching Bubba anyway, but playing guitar and singing in front of thirty people was a challenge.  After a few times (and a few Boddington's Pub Ales) it became easier.  Most of my music was about negative things, as I have a difficult time writing songs or poems when I am in a good mood.  Now I figure no one wants to hear that negative shit anyway, so I have put them away for a while.  I don't.

Lately, I have been writing a sort-of monthly blog on Vurbmoto.com.  Vurb is a really cool site, and it kind of embodies the new generation of the sport, in my opinion.  If you haven't had a chance to check it out yet, cruise over to www.vurbmoto.com.  I wrote a new one today that should be up soon about growing up in Albuquerque with the Johnsons, Tedescos and Justin Buckelew.  It was a good time, and we all experienced success at the professional level.  Check it out.

I also appreciate all the comments and feedback on my rants.  I know that our common thread here is that we all like motorcycles, but it goes a lot deeper than that.  I appreciate you all taking the time to read and throw the occasional comment or story about yourself, bike or family.  I enjoy reading them.

Davey promised me one more thing when he was drunk a few years ago, and that is a RACERX cover.  I am going to hold him to that one day, but I would like to earn it rather than push the charity angle.  No one wants to be given something they don't deserve.  I don't.

RC

1 comment:

KimmieHutch said...

I love reading your rants Ryan. It's been fun watching you grow in your career and life. Thanks for letting me be a part of it. Don't forget to visit whenever you are in Dallas. I'm gone from Hampton LC, but would still try and hook you up and would love to see you. Benihana time!!! :)
Kimmie