9/11/11

Quads: Not Just for Girls Anymore

Dustin Nelson shredding his couch.  Photo courtesy Dustin Nelson.

Question: What is the hardest thing about riding a quad?
Answer: Telling your parents you're gay.

I am not going to sugar-coat it, I have had a long-time hatred for quads.  Let's face it, they ruin more motocross tracks than all encroaching subdivisions combined.  Ten or so years ago, my childhood friend/competitor and someone I always tried to emulate, Dustin Nelson, switched from two wheels to four.  He was (and still is) a Yamaha test rider, and during quad testing realized he was pretty damn good on four wheels.  He was amazing on two-wheels as well, but just had a string of injuries that prevented him from reaching his full potential.  Dustin was one of those kids that was not just good at everything, he was GREAT at everything.  And it drove me crazy.

Seven months ago I was forced to re-evaluate my stance on quads.  The girl I was falling in love with had worked in the quad industry as a magazine editor for years, and she swore to me that quad racing was fun, relaxed and just a totally different atmosphere than the pompous, overpaid assholes I have always been forced to hang out with.  After meeting many of them at the Indy Trade Show, I had to agree.  I was slowly being won over by the couch racers.

This weekend the QuadX Series made a stop at Speedworld MX, and my old pal Dustin Nelson was rolling into town for the event.  He came over to the house and had breakfast Saturday morning, and we did a little bench racing and reminiscing about old times.  I had actually moved in with he and his family in El Cajon, California for the second semester of my seventh grade year to compete in the Golden State National Series.  That evening, we caught the tail end of his second moto, the moto that clinched yet another championship for Dustin.  Congratulations, Dustin.  You are still the bad ass I remember you to be.

So to sum this quad story up, I still don't like them but I no longer hate them.  They should not ever share a track with a dirt bike, and in my opinion anything with four wheels should have a steering wheel.  And Can-Am Spiders can suck it, while we are on the subject.

9/11 also marked my daughter's fourth birthday.  She is and will always be my little girl, and words just cannot describe how much joy she and her brother bring to my life.  Happy Birthday to my baby girl.

This weekend was also my first soccer game of the outdoor season.  I played pretty well, but my feet are killing me, likely due to my ten year old shoes.  My mom is in town and she is buying me a new pair tomorrow since I am broke at the current moment.  Thanks, Mom.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and best wishes for an amazing week.  RC

2 comments:

That guy's a dad... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
That guy's a dad... said...

Happy 4th Birthday Princess Audrey!

and Clark, you know how I know your gay? Your ass tastes like a quad seat...