2/13/12

San Diego Supercross Event Update


Awesome shot by Austin White. Check out www.insidermx.com
for more of his work and race updates.


Ryan Clark Event Update
San Diego Supercross
Qualcomm Stadium - San Diego, CA
February 11, 2012

Round six of the 2012 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Series rolled South to San Diego for the final event before heading East. I had a decent week of training, cut a little short by a broken radiator on Wednesday which left me scrambling and unable to ride on Thursday. I was able to repair the radiator before the weekend, and was really looking forward to a positive result. On top of that, Ross Miles lent me a hand with the mechanical duties and freshened up my trusty steed before battle.

Saturday was an early morning, as my family and I were staying in Huntington Beach with a friend. I got through tech inspection and sound with ease, and headed out to the track walk. The track looked fairly technical, with a really long whoop section and a few treacherous rhythms. I was excited to get on my 2012 Kawasaki KXF450 and get it dialed in.

Practice went a little better this weekend, and I was easily into the program with a 50.3 lap time. This left me with the 14th gate pick in the first 450cc Supercross Heat Race. I had a couple good laps in practice, but I was having a tough time finding a flow around the track.

The first heat started off great, with a solid jump off the gate and a great position around the first corner. Unfortunately, the guy ahead of me opted not to jump the rhythm section and I went from around fifth back to 12th in one fell swoop. It was really frustrating to be up that far and lose it all at once, but I guess I should have chosen a better line. From there, I was just off my rhythm, much like in practice. My lap times were okay, but I made mistake after mistake, and failed to make the transfer with a 14th place finish.

In the LCQ there were quite a few solid riders, so I knew I would need the start if I had any shot at the transfer. Out of the gate I was decent, but going into the first corner I got pushed wide and was near the tail end of the pack. I started picking off riders right away, but being that buried in the pack never leaves you a good line choice. I was able to methodically work up to eighth place by lap six, but that was six places shy of the transfer to the main event. 

I was extremely disappointed with my ride at San Diego. I felt that I had a really good opportunity in the heat race, and I was unable to take advantage of it. My arm is now almost 100%, but my mind is still struggling to get in the racing groove. I am hoping that a change of soil next week at Dallas will give me the boost I need to pick up my pace and get in the all-important main event.

Thank you to all my supporters for sticking with me through the injury and recovery. I am doing all I can to get back on track as quickly as possible.

All the best,

Ryan Clark
facebook.com/teamsolitaire
twitter.com/teamsolitaire

I use and endorse the following products:
Motivite Nutritional Products, Mastel Linens, M2R Helmets, HoyFox Toyota, LeoVince Exhaust, Nuclear Blast Records, Enjoy Mfg, FLY Racing, Vortex, RK Chain, Excel Rims, Dunlop, Graeme Brough Suspension, Hinson Racing, North Valley Racing, The Dirt Lab, All Balls, Motion Pro, Dragon, Leatt Brace, DT1 Filters, CP Pistons, ARC Levers, ITAS, Rockwell and Gaerne.

1 comment:

ArtbyKC said...

You will do it Ryan! :)