3/2/08

INDYnial

Just before the final turn of the LCQ. Photo: vitalmx.com

My weekend in coming to a close as I sit on my couch and punch keys late Sunday night.  To get things started, here is a quick recap of my race at Indy.  

The heat started poor and just got worse.  My start was dismal, and although I worked through some guys quickly it all ended when Cole Siebler and I collided and I broke my toe.  His bike and mine just kind of crushed my foot and it immediately went numb.  I don't know what you call toes, but it is the one next to my pinkie toe on my right foot.  Anyway, not a necessary digit for riding a dirt bike, so after a few choice words and rolling two straight-aways of obstacles I tucked in my skirt and rode the rest of the race.  My earlier antics put me too far back to make an impact so I was headed to the LCQ.

I gated decent in the LCQ, probably fifth (although I think there were only 12 or 13 guys in it).  I moved into third on the opening lap and hounded Antonio Balbi for the next several laps.  On the final lap I made the pass in the sand section and pulled out a couple of bike-lengths.  In the next turn, however, Balbi decided to go for the blatant take out move on me.  We collided hard, though I somehow managed to stay upright while he lay in a heap on the ground.  The impact, however, snapped my clutch cable in two and rendered my clutch useless for the remaining two corners.  Unfortunately, Jake Marsack was right there behind me.  I tried to ride a super-wide bike, but with no clutch I had no ability to pivot for the corner and Jake made the pass look easy.  I ran off the track trying to keep him at bay and crossed the finish line in third.  RacerX Gas Cards are piling up here...

So the race was not so good, but my flight home had Direct TV.  And when I got home my wife, Jesse (my mechanic) and I drove to Chandler to pick up a claw-foot cast iron freestanding tub that she bought on Craigslist - so long gas card money.  I did get a date with my wife tonight as well, so all in all it was a good weekend.  I can walk (with a limp) and my feet are now about as attractive as Lisa Lampanelli, but the gate will drop again in Daytona...and I will be there.

RC

No comments: