3/31/08

Playing catch up


Hey guys.

Sorry I took a few weeks off.  I needed to step back from riding, racing and pretty much everything moto for a week or so.  I am feeling better now, and ready to start back up where I left off.

To catch everyone up, I had a really early flight back from Minneapolis two weeks back and ended up getting rundown, which may have been a catalyst for the flu that has been going around.  After a week in bed (on my one week off since SX started) I was feeling better.  I did some riding last week to get ready for Toronto, but felt pretty sub-par to say the least.  By the time the race came I was feeling good and riding pretty well.

The weekend started off fun.  I had a direct flight from PHX to Buffalo where my friend Danny Nappy picked me up.  He is staying in Buffalo long term for work and had a hotel right downtown.  That night we went to a Buffalo Sabres/Montreal Canadiens hockey game.  It was really fun, but the Canadiens ended up winning which was kind of a bummer.  The highlight of the night was not the fights at the game (unfortunately there were very few) but the fisticuffs flying on the street outside the stadium between rival hockey fans.  With cops on every corner, these guys brawled for a good five minutes without any intervention.  I LIKE NY.  The next morning we loaded up the Toyota FJ with a few pink Ogio bags, destination Toronto.

At the race, I had a good start in the heat and was running solid until the last lap.  I had Reed behind me and Marsack in front and tried to get by Jake in a tough rhythm section.  I cross-rutted and threw away an easy transfer.  In the LCQ I crashed in the first turn and never game myself a chance.  End of race for me.  So I went out with the crew, including my old friends Rojay, Kevin Strickwerda, Jiri Dostal, Nappi and my mechanic Jesse black.  We had some drinks and kicked back before returning to Buffalo, NY late Saturday night/early Sunday morning.  I slept in for my late flight (learned from Minneapolis) and got home around 9 PM Sunday night.  

Today I had the guys (Jesse and Eric the Intern) help me dig ditches.  Literally.  We had to clear out an irrigation canal so I can get water to the new MX track I am constructing a few miles from Casa Clark.  It should be great fun to ride, but digging ditches is absolute hell.  Need some laborers on the crew next season.

That is pretty much it.  I am riding with my old teammate Justin Buckelew tomorrow at my SX track.  He is coming out of retirement for Dallas this weekend, riding for Chaplin Kawasaki in place of the injured Robbie Marshall.  I am interested to see how he is riding SX having taken well over a year off.  I will let you know after the ride how things are stacking up.  All the best!  RC

No comments: