10/17/11

Monster Moto

Monster Energy Cup Photo by Chris Ganz - Brown Dog Wilson

Well, the Monster Energy Cup has cometh and goneth.  I put down some solid preparation leading up the event, but I wasn't really sure what my expectations were going in.  It had been a while since I have lined up next to the best riders in the world.  I emerged pretty happy with my progress.

Good points: I charged forward in every race, despite taking a spill or two along the way.  I was very in the moment every time I was on the track.  This may not seem like a big deal, but honestly it has been a while since I have been able to focus my mind on racing and racing alone.  I was looking forward to each drop of the gate, where as for the last two or three years I was looking forward to just getting home.

Bad points: I need to pick up some speed between now and January.  I was about a second off from being a legitimate threat to make the main.  It was possible that I could have snuck in, but it would have taken a stroke of luck, or at least a great start.  I want to be to the point where I can pick off riders and earn my way in each week, regardless of my start.  I also had a few little fire-drills with my bike, from a broken fork guard/holeshot device to a small electrical issue.  We were able to deal with them quickly, but you never want that on race day.

Our M.E.C. set up.  Thanks to Kyle Defoe for use of his truck. 
Stunt bikes and drift cars ALL DAY LONG.  Drifting is stupid.  There, I said it.

After the race, we jumped in the truck and pinned it back to Phoenix.  Did I mention we left for the race Saturday morning at 5:30 AM?  It was a very long day for all involved in the Clark program.  We arrived safely back in Phoenix at 1:30AM Sunday morning.  Five and a half hours later, my alarm woke me up.  It was time to head to my soccer game.  I know, it doesn't sound like a great idea, but honestly, it seemed like a good idea at the time.  Plus, I really enjoy soccer and I didn't want to let my team down.  It was a good thing I ended up going because I scored on the best goals of my young career.  Of course, then I rolled my ankle so I probably should have just slept in.

Sunday was a sobering day for motorsports.  We lost four prominent figures in the same day.  Dan Wheldon, the two-time Indianapolis 500 winner, lost his life at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway in a horrific crash that involved fifteen cars.  In addition, Nick Hoffman, who was a fixture on the professional scene as a mechanic for Butler Brother MX, passed away.  He was engaged to be married next week.  Lastly, Rick Huseman (Off-Road Truck Driver) and his brother, Jeff, died in a plane crash just outside Barstow while returning home from the Monster Energy Cup on Sunday.  Such a truly sad day across the board.  It really puts things in perspective knowing just how fragile life can be.  You truly never know when your number might come up, so live each and every day to its full potential.

What is really important in life.
Looking forward, I have a lot of work to do in the next three months.  I hope to have you along on my journey.  It isn't going to be easy, but it is going to be worth it.  RC

2 comments:

ArtbyKC said...

Hi Ryan, I looked all over to find where you finished in the Monster Cup. Anyway, I have a question for you, could you call? After the answer we can get a box of stuff on its way to yous guys... :) Kathy

BGoodin266 said...

Great to see you back racing. Sounds like your having some fun again too. Good luck and hope to see you at some races this year.